EU Advocacy Trainee
PAX means peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace.
The EU Office of PAX for Peace in Brussels is looking for a motivated
EU Advocacy Trainee
The trainee will get the chance to work closely on the EU advocacy of a leading international peacebuilding organization; learn how influencing governments and institutions works; and learn more about the peacebuilding and human rights issues.
We are looking for someone who is interested in conflict, peacebuilding or human rights, interested in working in an international environment, and is motivated, creative, well-organised and hard-working.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Monitoring EU policy and political developments relevant to the work of PAX through desk research; producing updates for the organization on developments in Brussels.
- Assisting with organizing meetings and events.
- Assisting with hosting country teams and local partners when they visit Brussels: organizing travel logistics; preparing them for meetings with EU policymakers.
- Assisting with virtual meetings and events such as online webinars.
- Coordinating PAX’s EU Advocacy Calendar, and keeping an overview of reports and other upcoming advocacy activities.
- Assisting with the distribution of reports and advocacy briefings.
- Taking notes in meetings with internal colleagues and external meetings.
- Media and social media monitoring.
- Updating and maintaining contacts lists and the contacts database.
- Creating content for social media.
- Assisting with logging, monitoring, and evaluation of EU advocacy activities.
- Ad-hoc translation, depending on language skills.
We are looking for
- Interest in conflict, peacebuilding or human rights policy: gained from studying, personal interest, or personal experience.
- Ability to work hard, and to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to handle competing tasks and deadlines.
- Interest in advocacy and campaigning: interest in how NGOs can make change happen.
- Strong organizational skills; a methodical approach to tasks, and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Good political awareness and political judgement.
- Ability to organize meetings well and to host colleagues and partners in Brussels.
- Very good level of spoken and written English.
- Interest in working in an international environment with people of many nationalities.
- Commitment to working in a way which promotes the work of local NGOs and smaller, grassroots organisations.
- Commitment to working with integrity, and in a way which is anti-racist and feminist.
- An interest in working in EU affairs.
- Good level of other international languages (e.g. French, Arabic, Spanish or others).
- Internship contract for 3 months at €1.000,- gross per month, on a contract under Convention d’Immersion Professionelle.
- Starting in October.
- Full-time contract at 37.5 hours a week.
- Based in Brussels, or possibly by distance (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).
The vacancy is closed.
Please send your CV and cover letter before 8 September 2020 only by using the application form on the bottom of this page.
The interviews will take place in the third week of September 2020.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with the right skills and interest to apply for positions. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for this position.