Country Manager South Sudan
The work of PAX in South Sudan focuses on the promotion of sustainable peace, in a context characterized by prolonged violence. PAX works with several local organizations (civil society and religious) that focus on conflict prevention, peace dialogue and community security with the goal of making communities safer and empowered for a more just society. Other important themes in our work include dealing with the past, the role of natural resources in conflict and inter-linking local governance and peace-building. The local partners and networks are an important linchpin in our work. On the basis of this cooperation we analyse the situation in South Sudan, respond to current events and translate that into policy advocacy at national and international level. PAX is part of the PAX Christi International network.
PAX has been engaged with religious and civil society organisations in South Sudan since 1994. We believe that the best chances for reconciliation lie with ordinary people who aspire a peaceful future for their country and that women and youth have an important role to play. Currently PAX is active in Central Equatoria, Eastern Equatoria, Jonglei, Lakes and Unity states.
We are currently looking for an experienced candidate, to be based in Juba, for the position of:
Country Manager South Sudan
Organisational position: A very exciting opportunity has arisen for a Country Manager to manage and strengthen the PAX South Sudan programme. The Country Manager will manage the Juba based PAX team, consisting of a Project Manager, two Project Officers, an Administrative Officer, and two support staff. The Country Manager will report to the South Sudan Project Lead based in The Netherlands. Further coordination will be required with PAX colleagues based in The Netherlands active in South Sudan including the Programme Leader and Team Coordinator for the Africa team, a Project Officer South Sudan and colleagues active on Borderlands (Eastern Equatoria / Turkana / Karamoja), Protection of Civilians and Gender.
We are looking for?
You are an independent and ingenious person who is able to operate in a complex context and has a resourceful and cooperative attitude. You are someone with extensive programme management experience in complex settings, preferably including South Sudan. You can relate well to working with local partners and have sufficient leadership skills to operate in a polarized environment. Further, you have excellent planning and communication skills, and pro-actively network and coordinate.
- Programme implementation: responsible for the realisation of the programme's objectives in the established result areas, including meeting timely reporting requirements. Oversees management of partnerships on basis of equality, cooperation and dialogue. Draws up annual programme plans in close coordination with the PAX teams in Juba and Utrecht, including content and cross-project coordination. Produces management reports.
- Line management of Project Manager, Project Officers and Administrative Officer. Monitors the progress of team activities, results and reporting, including monitoring visits. Monitors the quality of exchange of information, coherence, coordination and consultation within the team. Conducts periodic interviews with the team members. Coaches staff, monitors the welfare and safety of team members, creates conditions for training and development
- Networking and influencing: Representation of PAX at the Juba-level, through pro-active coordination with donors, diplomatic missions and organisations involved in peacebuilding. Where possible, influencing on basis of PAX learning and analysis.
- Analysis: Detects and analyses relevant contextual and policy developments and translates this into consequences and possibilities for the South Sudan programme.
- Budget management: of the Juba office in coordination with the Utrecht-based Financial Controller. Ensures timely financial reporting from partners. Coordinates closely with Utrecht-based Programme Leader on realisation of the annual budget and tracks spending.
- Programme strategy and learning: Strategic liaison with Programme Lead, Financial Controller and Programme Officer based in the Netherlands, particularly on programmatic development, organisational learning, partnership management and capacity building.
- Fundraising: raising funds and identifying partners for the programme, realizing opportunities and adjusting these with the relevant colleagues.
- Capacity building: structuring and management of capacity building of PAX Juba team and partners, with particular focus on peacebuilding (reconciliation, dialogues, community engagement), transitional justice, gender mainstreaming, monitoring and learning, organisational management, and strengthening of financial systems.
- Coordination with relevant Utrecht-based teams active in South Sudan, as well as shared responsibility for building and managing knowledge on Borderlands (Eastern Equatoria, Karamoja and Turkana), Sudan, Protection of Civilians and Gender.
- An academic degree
- At least 7 years’ experience with programme management in a political/activist framework, development aid or a similar sector, preferably in South Sudan or East Africa
- Relevant knowledge in the field of peace and security, including demonstrable experience with setting-up and monitoring progress of local peacebuilding projects with a long-term outlook
- Experience with managing people, with talent for content leadership, coaching and guidance
- Strong analytical skills, in understanding the essence of (complex) issues. Able to see patterns and connections in information and to translate this into ideas and future scenarios.
- Pro-active internal and external collaboration and excellent communication skills. Disseminating views strongly, shows interaction and argues effectively
- Experience working with local (faith-based) partners
- Environmentally conscious, adequately anticipating social, political and economic factors that may have an influence on the work and the organisation
- Excellent knowledge (active and passive) of English. Knowledge of Juba Arabic is an asset
- Preferably currently living in South Sudan, with South Sudanese or East African nationality
- A flexible and positive attitude is a must! And a good sense of humour even better
- A position in an exciting and challenging international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues
- Place of employment: Juba based, with minimum of 70% in South Sudan
- Appointment starting ASAP
- Appointment for 36 hours per week (fulltime)
- Competitive pay scale depending on experience
- PAX is in a position to provide accommodation in a secure compound if needed
Information and application
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements can submit their application, consisting of both a letter of motivation and resumé in English addressed to Ilse Wermink, only by using the application form on the bottom of this page. Closing date for vacancy is 27 January 2019.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position. Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
Reageer op deze vacature
Wil je reageren op deze vacature? Klik dan op de onderstaande button en vul het formulier in. Houd je CV en motivatiebrief gereed.