Finance and HR manager South Sudan
PAX South Sudan implements one of the country programmes of PAX, an international non-governmental organisation. PAX means peace and is the leading Dutch peace-building & conflict-transformation NGO. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace in various conflict regions in the world, such as South Sudan.
PAX South Sudan supports a number of grass roots peace-building initiatives and advocates for a shared, viable and inclusive vision for peaceful democratic transformation in South Sudan. PAX has been engaged with religious and civil society organizations in South Sudan since 1994, collaborating with South Sudanese partners by strengthening capacity and facilitating communities to transform and mitigate violent conflict through dialogue and reconciliation, with a focus on women’s leadership. We believe that the best chances for reconciliation lie with ordinary people who aspire a peaceful future for their country. PAX has over 25 years’ experience in South Sudan working with communities in conflict and post-conflict situations. We are looking for a
Finance and HR Manager South Sudan
Position Reports to: Country Manager South Sudan, with technical reporting to Project Control lead at PAX HQ (Netherlands)
Responsible for: Finance, Human Resources, Procurement & Logistics.
Liaises with: Government tax authorities, partner finance representatives and PAX South Sudan team, as well as other stakeholders to ensure appropriate mechanisms of efficient coordination are in place and adequately functional.
Duty station: Juba, South Sudan, with at least 25% travel time to field locations in support of partners.
Job summary: The position holder is responsible for support and supervision of accounting and finance management, human resources administration and ensuring that the PAX South Sudan office in Juba establishes, maintains, develops and implements effective, proper and sound accounting and financial management systems and policies. The position further monitors and builds capacity of PAX implementing partners, provides reviews of partner financial reports to HQ in Netherlands and coordinates basic procurement and logistics.
Broad Responsibilities: With overall responsibility for country finance management, works in consultation with the Project Control lead at PAX HQ (Netherlands), keeps oversight of project finances and addresses deficiencies so that PAX South Sudan remains relevant to its stakeholders. Leads partner financial capacity strengthening.
A) Financial Administration
- Supervise cash management processes and manage relationships with banking institutions.
- Ensure the preparation of Quarterly Cash Forecasts in collaboration with Juba and Netherlands based programme staff, to aid cash flow planning.
- Ensure that PAX Juba bank accounts are operated in accordance with PAX financial policy.
- Establish cash balance monitoring mechanism to ensure smooth programme operations, payments and ensure the minimum cash balance threshold is not breached.
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are performed for bank accounts and approved bank reconciliation forms are properly filed.
- Keep track of exchange rates with the appropriate documentation for journals and audit purposes.
- Review, process and organize timely advance payments for programme staff and ensure timely settlement of advances before new advances are provided.
- Ensure expenditures are made according to budgets and advances / receivables are liquidated on a timely basis
- Ensure that all payments are prepared based on approved payment request, sufficiently supported, approved by designated official and charged to a valid budget, donor and project.
- Ensure safe custody of unused cheques and cash receipts.
- Ensure petty cash and operating cash are maintained on imprest systems and operated in accordance with PAX cash management policies and procedures.
- Ensure that Cash Accounts are reconciled and replenished in a timely manner.
- Conduct monthly cash counts and frequent unannounced spot checks .
- Perform timely closure of the financial year and preparation of specific reports required for internal and external audits.
B) Financial management: planning and forecasting
- Support PAX quarterly and annual programme planning.
- Prepare plans for the strategic and operational financial objectives of PAX South Sudan in close collaboration with PAX partners and share with project control at HQ to guide finance performance plans for PAX programmes in South Sudan.
- Monitor PAX cash balances and partner contractual disbursement tranches to ensure adequate resources are maintained to meet operating needs.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of cash and USD/SSP bank accounts.
- Maintain the copies of all project budgets and ensure monitor these for timely and quality project financial reporting.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and submit these timely to project control at HQ.
- Perform month end closure for each month and budget comparison reports are prepared, approved and shared with programme staff in Juba and HQ.
- Review quarterly feedback from programme staff on their budget comparison reports and take necessary action.
- Monitor the receivables/payables and deal with any issues related to them.
- Check all payment requests for Country Manager’s approval.
- Ensure supporting documents are available for each financial transaction according to donor and PAX’s policies and procedures, and ensure expenses are allowable.
- Identify and remedy internal control weaknesses in all areas that impact PAX’s financial resources.
D) Human resources administration
- Supervise staff payroll preparation accurately and on time.
- Keep informed about and actively inform HQ about local labour law developments, particularly relating taxes, exemptions and other human resources matters.
- Supervise staff payroll preparation accurately and on time.
- Ensure PAX is compliant with all tax requirements and other statutory deductions, including timely PIT payments.
- Ensure all staff benefits calculations and terminal dues are processed consistent with PAX policy and local labour laws.
- Ensure PAX staff in South Sudan fill out timesheets in a timely manner and support staff to charge staff time to the correct projects.
E) Staff and partnering strengthening
- In conjunction with all PAX staff in South Sudan, enforce compliance with and strengthen understanding of non-finance staff of financial policy and procedures.
- Provide leadership, direction, mentoring and coaching to all partner finance staff, to develop staff capacity for higher performance.
- Design capacity building plans with partner finance staff and involved PAX programme staff.
- Support supervision on financial reporting for partner organization and take corrective actions on discrepancies.
- Follow up on (audit) recommendations with partners and support of the finance lead at HQ on specific South Sudan findings.
- Review and provide advice on partner finance staff job descriptions where appropriate.
F) Compliance and logistics
- In conjunction with the Country Manager, ensure that the financial accounting environment in PAX office in South Sudan is in compliance with PAX policies and procedures and local legal requirements.
- Coordinate procurement and logistics, delegating tasks to the Logistics Assistant.
- Maintain functional UNHAS account and book internal flights in coordination with programme staff (UNHAS, MAF etc.)
- Maintain the PAX authorization matrix indicating levels of signatory authority for commitments, payments, contracts, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the Country Manager
Key Working Relationships
Supervisory: Country Director, project managers and officers, logistics assistant and cleaner.
External: Local banks, partner finance officers, local taxation and other statutory authorities.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a respective field such as Accounting, Finance, Financial Management; significant work experience in a directly related field will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- At least five years’ experience in accounting for international agencies.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, and budgeting policies, procedures and standards preferred.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Excel, Word and Access.
- Experience with accounting systems required; QuickBooks, etc.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in managing international donor regulations (Dutch MoFa, NORAD, SIDA, DFID, USAID etc.)
- Experience in building financial management capacity of national NGOs.
- Demonstrated strengths in financial management with a strong team focus; able to work with diverse groups of people and team oriented environment.
- Skilled in obtaining information necessary to accomplish duties
- Able to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Able to analyse and creatively resolve problems at both a strategic and functional level
- Able to express technical ideas and concerns in a non-technical environment
- Strong customer orientation
- Able to work independently
- Able to adapt and learn
- Ability to develop effective systems considering organizational effectiveness and impact on people.
- Strong organization and planning skills, detail oriented
- Maturity and discretion, able to work with, and maintain confidential information
General information about PAX and its work can be found through www.paxforpeace.nl
candidates matching the profile and requirements can submit their application, consisting of both a letter of motivation and resume in English addressed to Country Manager, only by using the application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for vacancy is 27 November 2019.
Please note that we will review candidates on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position. Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. We thank candidates in advance for their interest in the position. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates.
Reageer op deze vacature
Wil je reageren op deze vacature? Klik dan op de onderstaande button en vul het formulier in. Houd je CV en motivatiebrief gereed.