Iraq Focal Point
This vacancy is closed. It's not possible to apply for this position anymore.
PAX means peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Everyone who believes in peace can contribute, whether it be sending an e-mail to policy makers, supporting peace activists in conflict areas, or developing an entirely new initiative to bring together people with shared objectives. We are convinced that all these steps, whether small or large, inevitably lead to the greater sum of peace.
For our Iraq programming we are looking for a
Iraq Focal point
(Based in Erbil)
Pax is looking for an experienced manager and/or analysist, fluent in English (Arabic or Kurdish is an advantage) and with a deep understanding of conflcit analysis, social cohesion, community based security, local governance, justice and peace building. The ideal candidate has a civil society network in the region, preferably in Iraq and is able to work independently. This position requires the capacity to operate successfully in complex processes and a constantly evolving conflict context by strategically linking the various program and advocacy activities of PAX and partners in Iraq. The representative works within a team of colleagues based in Baghdad, Dohuk, Amman and Utrecht. (S)he will be supervising the colleagues in Iraq and line-managed by the Iraq program manager in Utrecht.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Coordination and representation
- Representating PAX in Iraq towards authorities, international agencies, Iraqi civil society and other relevant stakeholders
- Maintain an overview of all programs in Iraq and liaise with the various program managers in Utrecht
- Supporting and strengthening the programs by linking to relevant stakeholders and responding to advocacy and visibility opportunities
- Maintaining a coordination network with relevant NGOs and institutions in Iraq working in the same field, in particular with UN and national authorities;
- Explore and respond to fundraising and/or partnership opportunities for PAX in Iraq
Monitoring and reporting
- Manage and monitor the performance of national staff and support in recruitment procedures for national staff and consultants
- Support in collecting and compiling regular, timely and adequate narrative and financial reports by national staff and partners
- Maintain close cooperation with PAX partner organisations, coordinating administration with them as well as maintaining intensive contact with project stakeholders through field visits.
- Support in the partner profiling and identifying possible new partnerships
- In case of bottle-necks in the implementation of programs, providing guidance, advice and or instructions in consultation with the (senior) program officers.
- Ensure visibility of PAX in Iraq and internationally by supporting opportunities for networking and media exposure
- Participate in various roundtables and expert meetings on behalf of PAX in Iraq and the region
Advocacy, analysis and knowledge development
- Continuously map strategic opportunities for advocacy and linking to PAX programming
- Follow up on relevant policy developments in Iraq/the region affecting the program;
- Contribute to and participate in local and international lobby and advocacy activities
- Support in the development of positioning of PAX and Advocacy Alerts
- Support in producing conflict assessments, actor mappings, proposal writing, program design, research and evaluation of PAX programs
- Contribute to knowledge and policy development on the topics of social cohesion, community based security, justice and local governance from a peace building perspective;
Security, logistics and liasion
- Support in the facilitation of field visits of international staff to Iraq, including support to visa arrangements and logistical matters
- Contribute to updating the security policy for Iraq, including back up support for security clearance for duty trips
- Manage and maintain contacts with land lord for office accomodation
- Acting as liasion for various colleagues in Utrecht focusing on issues such as HR, registration, communication, finance, M&E and fundraising
- Academic degree, preferably in a relevant field such as conflict studies, international relations, politics, law or sociology;
- Deep understanding of the political economy and issues related to diversity, demographich change, conflict management, assessments, lobby and advocacy;
- Deep understanding on topics such as social cohesion, community based security and local governance;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the local conflicts in Iraq, specifically Ninewa and the situation in wider Iraq, including knowledge of Iraqi civil society;
- Senior project management skills, including at least 5 years relevant professional experience in a conflict setting for a local or international non-profit organisation;
- Able to work independently and responsibly under pressure, as well as a team player;
- Native or fluency speaker of English; working knowledge of Arabic/Kurdish, excellent writing skills;
- Diplomacy, tact, conflict-sensitivity, good communication- and representational skills;
- Specific experience as a facilitator/trainer working with specific peace building methodologies is a bonus;
- Capacity and willingness to travel around in Iraq, the region, Europe and Netherlands;
- Affinity with the working fields of PAX;
- Preferably based in Dohuk or Erbil
WHAT WE OFFER
- A dynamic and highly international working environment
- Appointment for 36 hours per week (fulltime),initially for 12 months, with prospects for extension
- Local competitive salary (depending on experience with a maximum gross salary of $3000 per month, including benefits such as health insurance).
- Start: as soon as possible, most likely May 2017
MORE INFORMATION AND PROCEDURE
Website of Pax for Peace: www.paxforpeace.nl.
This vacancy is closed
Closing date for this position is April 30th 2017.