Project Lead Sudan (0,8 fte)
PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
In Africa, PAX is active in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and in the Sahel region.
For a maternity leave cover, PAX is looking for an experienced project lead for its peace building projects in Sudan, based in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Project Lead Sudan (0,8 FTE)
The position is available for 0,8 FTE, based on a 36 hour working week. This position is temporary, starting date as soon as possible until (at least) end of January 2021.
The Sudan project lead reports to the Program Lead Africa (strategy and program impact) and the Team coordinator Africa (operational and performance).
In the period at hand, the main focus in this role will be on:
- Strategy and programme development for Sudan for the period 2021-2025 in the areas of conflict transformation, civic activism and gender, peace security. Particular focus on strategic analysis and advocacy to support Sudanese civil society in the democratic transition process.
- Rolling out of new programming for which funding was acquired: ensuring adequate coordination and reporting structures are in place, hiring of staff, project planning and implementation, budget management and oversight, donor coordination and reporting.
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, International relations, Politics or Law;
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience in the transformation of conflict dynamics at several levels and/or in addressing the root causes of conflicts and deteriorated human security situations;
- A nose for the political dimension and dynamics of the peace work, and the ability and flexibility to seize upon the opportunities which arise;
- Excellent writing skills, particularly project proposals;
- Project management skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with programming and advocacy on peacebuilding topics such as: conflict transformation, transitional justice, gender, peace & security, civic activism, political economy of conflict;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the situation in Sudan is preferred;
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others;
- Fluency in English required. Working proficiency of Dutch and/or Arabic is preferred.
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; inventive and assertive attitude;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to Sudan on a regular basis (if travel is possible again);
- Eligible to work in the EU
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- Appointment for 28,8 hours per week;
- Appointment starting as soon as possible, until (at least) end of January 2021;
- Pay scale 10 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min 2503,87 – 4235,15 euro max gross per month (for a fulltime position of 36 hours p/ week)
Procedure and information
The vacancy is closed.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV and a motivation letter (1 page) in English, only by using the form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is July 2nd.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.