Project leader Iraq
PAX, based in Utrecht, the Netherlands, is the leading Dutch peace-building & conflict-transformation NGO. We work for peace, reconciliation and justice in various conflict regions in the world, such as Sudan, the African Great Lakes region, Colombia, the Western Balkans and the Middle East. Our strategies are based on a twin-track approach, in close cooperation with our local partners: on the one hand we promote and facilitate civil-society driven dialogue and peace-building initiatives and on the other we seek to maximize an enabling environment for these through public campaigning and political lobby. Human security and human dignity are core values. A third objective is to mobilise the Dutch public for global peace-building issues. PAX combines knowledge, energy and people to attain one single objective: there must be peace!
PAX is active in Iraq since 2001 and has built specific expertise working on increasing social cohesion as well as creating positive interaction between local communities, civil society and government, with a focus on the role of minorities, youth and women in peacebuilding.
For our Iraq Programme, PAX is looking to recruit a:
Project Leader Iraq
The Project leader is based at PAX headquarters in Utrecht, working within a team of colleagues based in Utrecht, Erbil and Dohuk. The Project leader Iraq holds shared policy lead with another Project leader and works with the Project Officers Iraq. The Project leader reports to the Programme Leader Middle East.
- Shared policy lead on Iraq;
- Project lead on several peace building programmes with a main thematic focus on Gender, Peace and Security (UNSCR 1325) and Youth, Peace and Security (UNSCR 2250) (see: https://www.paxforpeace.nl/our-work/programmes/iraq);
- Technical and operational oversight and management, including budget responsibilities;
- Maintaining donor relations;
- Coordination of relations with (international) partners for program implementation;
- Strategic and technical programme development & fundraising;
- Joint strategy development;
- Lobby & advocacy.
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, Middle Eastern studies, International relations, Politics or Law;
- Project management skills, including at least 5 years relevant professional experience in a conflict setting for a local or international non-profit organisation;
- Knowledge of and experience with programming and advocacy on peacebuilding topics such as: conflict transformation, reconciliation, transitional justice, gender, peace & security and youth participation in peace building;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the situation in Iraq and the wider Middle East, knowledge of current political and conflict resolution processes in the region is an asset;
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others;
- Fluency in English (including excellent writing skills) and (at least) professional working proficiency in Arabic are required. Working proficiency of Dutch is preferred. Working proficiency in Kurdish (Sorani or Kurmanji) is a bonus;
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; inventive and assertive attitude;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to Iraq and the wider Middle East;
- Eligible to work in the EU;
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX.
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- Appointment for 28,8 – 36 hours per week (negotiable) for initially one year with possibility for extension;
- Appointment starting as soon as possible;
- Pay scale 10 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min. € 2.406,64 – max. € 4.070,70 gross (for a fulltime position).
Information and application
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max 2 pages) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in English addressed to Mrs. Thirsa de Vries (Project Iraq), only by using the application form on the bottom of this page.
Closing date for applications to this position is Wednesday 17 April 2019.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Reageer op deze vacature
Wil je reageren op deze vacature? Klik dan op de onderstaande button en vul het formulier in. Houd je CV en motivatiebrief gereed.