UN Research Assistant
PAX means peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace.
The UN Office of PAX for Peace in New York is looking for a motivated
UN Research Assistant
We are looking for someone who is interested in conflict, peacebuilding or human rights, interested in working in an international environment, and is motivated, creative, well-organised and hard-working.
General Responsibilities and Tasks
- Monitoring UN policy and political developments relevant to the work of PAX and producing updates for the organization, with specific priority to thematic areas that may include (among others):
- Protection of Civilians (PoC);
- Protection of the Environment in Armed Conflict (PERAC);
- Climate and Security; and
- Women, Peace and Security (WPS).
- Conducting research on current UN and international policy and legal documents to assist in establishing databases and informal informational tools.
- Assisting with organizing meetings and events: including bilateral meetings; roundtables; and large-scale policy forum discussions.
- Assisting with planning the UN Advocacy Calendar for PAX, and keeping an overview of reports and other upcoming advocacy activities.
- Assisting with the distribution of reports and advocacy briefings.
- Attending and taking notes in meetings, including with UN policy-makers and Member State representatives.
- Media and social media: regular monitoring and (social media) content creation.
- Updating and maintaining contacts lists and the contacts database.
- Ad-hoc translation, depending on language skills.
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrated experience from work or study in the field of international peace and security, particularly in the protection of civilians in armed conflict and/or the effects of environmental damage and climate change on security. Research experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Completion of some post-graduate courses or Master’s degree preferred.
- An interest in working in UN affairs.
- Ability to work hard, and to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Able to handle competing tasks and deadlines.
- Interest in advocacy and campaigning: interest in how NGOs can make change happen.
- Strong organizational skills; a methodical approach to tasks, and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Good political awareness and political judgement.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and related tools, including data management tools.
- Very good level of spoken and written English.
- Interest and experience in working in an international environment with people of many backgrounds and nationalities.
- Commitment to multilateralism and international cooperation in seeking a more peaceful, inclusive, and equitable world.
- Commitment to working in a way which promotes local NGOs.
- Commitment to working with integrity, and in a way which is anti-racist and anti-sexist.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Based in New York, or the greater New York area. but predominantly working remotely (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).
- International legal research experience.
- Proficiency in any of the other 5 recognized UN languages (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish).
- Temporary part-time employment contract for 3 months at $1200 gross per month, on a secondment contract under Nonviolence International, a registered a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Starting in October 2020.
- Part-time contract at 80 hours per month.
Information and Respond
The vacancy is closed.
Please send your CV and cover letter addressed to Britanny Roser in PDF file with the title “PAX UN RESEARCH ASSISTANT – LAST NAME” before 5pm EDT on Friday, 25 September 2020 only by using the application form on the bottom of this page.
Initial interviews will take place in the last week of September 2020.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with the right skills and interest to apply for positions. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for this position.